There are many risks on dog’s health when they are provided with chocolate, even a small piece will harm them at once.
As much as we love our dogs and love sharing everything with them, chocolate can’t be shared in any case. Vets have always warned us against the toxicity of chocolate on dogs. It causes illness and even death to them. A single chocolate chip cookie can poison a small dog or even a bigger one.
Once you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, you need to contact your vet right away. Your vet will recommend that you let your dog vomit if they didn’t on their own. They will also advise you to pay attention to their behavior.
Early treatment of toxicity will help your dog feel better sooner and will reduce any harmful results. Waiting will add for the harm of chocolate’s toxicity. These symptoms will show up in 6 to 12 hours:
- Extreme thirst
- Too much energy
The reason behind the toxicity of chocolate is methylxanthine theobromine. Theobromine is similar to caffeine and is used as a medicine to be heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and a muscle relaxant.
The amount of theobromine in a given type of chocolate differs by dark. White or milk chocolate contains very little theobromine. However, it is still dangerous and toxic for your dog as well. On the other hand, cooking and baking chocolate or high faulty dark chocolate is the most toxic.
Given that the dog’s size is medium; that is to say, he/she is around 50 pounds, this means that 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate or 8 ounces of milk chocolate is enough to show signs of chocolate poisoning.
SHARE and warn your friends against the dangers of chocolate!