As much as we love sharing everything with our dogs, festive foods are poisonous to them and can lead to fatal results.
Christmas is here and during the holiday season, we love to have special festive foods and sweets. We also love our dogs who are part of family and we share with them every moment and every celebration. But when it comes to festive food, you should be careful not to feed them something poisonous.
Accidental poisoning to dogs has been on a rise. We love to let them share our food, thinking that human food can be good and delicious for them. It might be delicious, but it isn’t good in all cases.
There are some brands who offer human food that can be given to dogs, but veterinary nutritionists that the humanisation trend is going too far.
There are many human foods that are poisonous to dogs because their metabolism is different than ours. The most poisonous Christmas food for dogs is chocolate. Most dogs owners understand that a small piece of chocolate is very fatal to dogs.
Onions can also poison pets. Onions contain chemicals that harm their red blood cells. The toxic dose of onions is around 0.5% of body weight i.e. around 50g of onions (two ounces) for a 10kg terrier.
What can be a surprise for dog owners is that grapes and raisins are toxic for canines. It’s surprising because how can a fruit be toxic. The toxicity of grapes and raisins has been discovered very recently. Scientists are not sure why they are toxic for dogs.They were found toxic because they were linked to kidney failure happened to dogs who ate grapes or raisins.
They were found toxic because they were linked to kidney failure happened to dogs who ate grapes or raisins.
It’s better to take your dog to the vet immediately if you suspect they have eaten any of these foods. Put in mind also that there are many safe Christmas treats for dogs to enjoy.